Everton's Last Visit To Teeside Brought Boos For The Yak!

Last updated : 23 December 2008 By Boro Mad
2007/8 BORO 0 EVERTON 2

Schwarzer, Young, Woodgate, Huth, Pogatetz,O'Neil (Johnson 73), Rochemback (Cattermole 84), Arca, Downing,Sanli, Lee (Hutchinson 59).
Subs Not Used: Turnbull, Riggott.

Boro had the best of the play for much of the match but were too often let down by a lack of composure in the final third with England winger Stewart Downing particularly culpable.

Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard's inspiring stop from Gary O'Neil set the tone for the visitors' victory, with Johnson and McFadden each taking full advantage to record their fifth goals of the season.

Johnson was booked after just three minutes for an indiscreet challenge but Ayegbeni Yakubu - roundly booed with every touch on his first return to the ground since leaving to join David Moyes' side - escaped the same fate despite a reckless lunge at Luke Young.

The hosts had a fine chance after eight minutes with Dong Gook Lee breaking into the Everton box but Howard's sliding stop saw the ball drop to Downing 20 yards out but with the goalkeeper out of position he failed to get away a shot away in time and his eventual attempt was tame.

Downing showed signs of life down the left for Boro but his final ball was consistently poor.

McFadden, meanwhile, attempted another of his now-trademark long-range efforts but had to settle for a corner as his scuffed drive took a deflection and trickled past the post.

Arca, named Boro captain in place of regular skipper George Boateng, then gave the ball away with the sloppiest of passes only to be bailed out by Fabio Rochemback and Tuncay Sanli.

After 29 minutes a flash of inspiration from Rochemback nearly broke the stalemate.

He feigned to cross from the right but instead lifted the ball delicately into the path of the overlapping Young.

The full-back's flighted centre found Downing at the far post and his side-footed volley looked to be going in before what seemed to be the slightest touch from Phil Jagielka on the line.

Tuncay, largely quiet despite going into the match with four goals in his last six games, then produced his own party-trick, sending the defence the wrong way with an impudent back-heel.

Again Downing was on the end but his cross was dealt with easily.

The second half was less than a minute old when Tuncay was presented with the best chance yet.

O'Neil bullied his way into the penalty area, holding off two challenges before playing the ball hard into the six-yard box.
he Turkey striker was in the right place but could not react quickly enough and the ball merely cannoned off his leg leaving Howard with a simple save.
There were warnings too from Everton.

First a neat back-heel from Steven Pienaar presented Yakubu with his first shooting chance - one that he spurned with a wild shot over the crossbar - and then a flighted free-kick from deep was punched clumsily by Mark Schwarzer to concede a corner.

It was left to Howard to produce a piece of goalkeeping that was memorable for all the right reasons.

After good vision from Arca, the American charged to the near post but was beaten by the advancing Tuncay.

His shot was headed clear by Joleon Lescott but when O'Neil lined up the rebound from eight yards the goalkeeper was still some distance away and it took a brilliant, instinctive save to keep the ball out.

Johnson took full advantage after 66 minutes.

Pienaar did well to bring down a curling pass into the box and release the England striker to his right.

Johnson peeled away from Robert Huth and dragged a powerful shot low across Schwarzer and into the bottom-left corner.

Boro were nearly caught by a sucker-punch four minutes later, Lee Carsley curling his shot narrowly wide as they committed too many men to attack.
And, sure enough, it was 2-0 soon afterwards.

With 18 minutes left McFadden and the revitalised Johnson broke at pace, sharing a measured one-two in the penalty box to free the Scotland international.

He showed some silky close control as he ghosted into the danger area and stroked home with his left foot, keeping his side well on course for the UEFA Cup in the process.


2008/2009 Sun 16 Nov Everton 1 - 1 Middlesbrough Premier League  
 2007/2008 Tue 01 Jan Middlesbrough 0 - 2 Everton Premier League  
  Sun 30 Sep Everton 2 - 0 Middlesbrough Premier League  
 2006/2007 Tue 26 Dec Everton 0 - 0 Middlesbrough Premiership  
  Sat 14 Oct Middlesbrough 2 - 1 Everton Premiership  
 2005/2006 Sat 29 Apr Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Everton Premiership  
  Sun 06 Nov Everton 1 - 0 Middlesbrough Premiership  
  Wed 26 Oct Everton 0 - 1 Middlesbrough League Cup  
 2004/2005 Sun 16 Jan Middlesbrough 1 - 1 Everton Premiership  
  Sun 19 Sep Everton 1 - 0 Middlesbrough Premiership  
 2003/2004 Sat 27 Mar Everton 1 - 1 Middlesbrough Premiership  
  Wed 03 Dec Middlesbrough 0 - 0 Everton League Cup  
after extra time, 90 minutes 0-0, Middlesbrough won 5-4 on penalties
  Sun 21 Sep Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Everton Premiership  
 2002/2003 Sat 01 Mar Middlesbrough 1 - 1 Everton Premiership  
  Sat 14 Sep Everton 2 - 1 Middlesbrough Premiership  
 2001/2002 Sun 10 Mar Middlesbrough 3 - 0 Everton F.A. Cup  
  Tue 01 Jan Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Everton Premiership  
  Sat 25 Aug Everton 2 - 0 Middlesbrough Premiership  
 2000/2001 Wed 31 Jan Everton 2 - 2 Middlesbrough Premiership  
  Sat 09 Sep Middlesbrough 1 - 2 Everton Premiership  
 1999/2000 Sun 14 May Everton 0 - 2 Middlesbrough Premiership  
  Sat 30 Oct Middlesbrough 2 - 1 Everton Premiership  
 1998/1999 Wed 17 Feb Everton 5 - 0 Middlesbrough Premiership  
  Wed 28 Oct Middlesbrough 2 - 3 Everton League Cup  
after extra time, 90 minutes 1-1
  Sat 19 Sep Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Everton Premiership  
 1996/1997 Thu 26 Dec Middlesbrough 4 - 2 Everton Premiership  
  Sat 14 Sep Everton 1 - 2 Middlesbrough Premiership  
 1995/1996 Sat 02 Mar Middlesbrough 0 - 2 Everton Premiership  
  Tue 26 Dec Everton 4 - 0 Middlesbrough Premiership  
 1992/1993 Sat 10 Apr Middlesbrough 1 - 2 Everton Premier League  
  Sat 26 Dec Everton 2 - 2 Middlesbrough Premier League